Monday, June 11, 2012

Project for the week: McCalls M6559

Yep, I have a fascination with Maxi Dresses. By now, I should have made at-least three, but I have yet to start on one. Luckily, I’ve started this blog to get me moving on this dress before the summer is over.
I have this material I got from a fabric store in Decatur, GA. It’s located off of Candler rd, and the name of it is Soul Fabrics. Anyway, the owner had a sale a few months ago where all fabric was 1.99 per yard. Of course, I stacked up and purchased 4yrds of a blue knit, and 4yrds of a pink knit. My goal is to make this dress using both fabrics.
http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/filebin/images/product_images/Full/M6559.jpg
I want to color-block it in a way that’s almost similar to the first illustration with the green, but eliminates the two lighter shades in the middle. Basically, I want it to look almost something like this.
http://images.bloomingdales.com/is/image/BLM/products/4/optimized/8006464_fpx.tif?wid=1200&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=sharp2&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg
My usual issues with sewing is the hemming, and the look around the neck and armhole edges. To me, personally, it’s usually what makes the product look either professional or unprofessional, so that’s going to be a challenge along with this being my first color-block attempt, so we shall see how it goes. I’ll have to learn how to use bias binding around the edges, learn a professional-looking hemming technique, and learn to color-block lol. Hopefully, by the end of next week I’ll have it all done with pics. I’ll try to look for and post tutorials, clips, pics on how to achieve the look I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment